August 19, 2013

When Its Time To Say Good-Bye.....

I haven't had a post up for a while because we've been having a rough two weeks around here with our dogs or as we call them our "kids"...Last Sunday night, only a few days after Jake here...

had his bladder problem, which he still needs surgery for...our little girl Lady 


awoke at 530 am Sunday morning with this horrific deep hacking cough. The kind that will make the back of the hair on your neck stand up if you hear it.. Of course it just HAD to be a Sunday so we had no choice but to wait until Monday morning. Yes, I could have run her into an emergency vet but you're talking hundreds of dollars for that and on Sunday night I had 122.00 dollars in my checking account because we had paid most of Jakes Bill three days before.

On Monday we took Lady into our doctor, I honestly thought maybe her diabetes had gotten to her heart but wasn't sure because her color was good, she was still eating, able to walk around, wasn't panting so I was stumped. The doctor said she had something called Tracheitits where her trachea was inflammed, gave us a bunch of medications and some low dose steroids which we knew would for a time mess with her blood sugar but there was no choice.. 

The rest of the week was not much better for her. On and off the phone with the vet, upping her dosages because she wasn't getting worse but she wasn't getting better and the hubs , myself and Lady were up all night because her cough always got worse at night and didn't let up no matter what we gave her. On Thursday afternoon we called the vet back because we had found these pills we had for her a while back she had taken that open up your airways. The doctor said to give her half which we did.. Within an hour she was no longer coughing but, her nervous system was being affected in a horrible way. Her entire body was trembling and jerking all over the place. I called the vet back he said it was a side affect from the medication, not to give her anymore and it would wear off. Later that night, her nervous system seemed worse, her cough was now back worse and she was no longer interested in food or water.. 


Friday morning she was just so sick and I talked to the hubs and we both agreed that it was time to let Lady go..Our hearts were breaking but we knew it was the end of the road for our sweet girl. She was 14 yrs old, had been blind and deaf for almost two years, her diabetes was out of control and now her lungs were shot from the diabetes. So I called the vet and told him what was going on. He agreed with us. He's been with us every step of the way with Lady even at 3 am the few times I had to call his cell and wake him up..

Hubs took Lady into her appointment at 1030 that morning. I could not go. I can not handle these things. Some may criticize me for that but I cant handle it. I held Lady all morning, kissing her, hugging her, snipped some of her hair to keep, told her what a good girl she was and always had been, how much I loved her and always would, that I would think of her and miss her everyday but her pain and sickness was too much and it was time she rested.. 


By 10:40am July 16th, our sweet angel was gone from us. Hubs is completely devastated even though he knows it was the right thing for her. You see, Lady was our first baby and she was 'his' baby. She loved me to pieces but she ADORED her Daddy and he adored her..So while it's very very hard on me and it's been even harder on him... We had her cremated and we should have her ashes back in about a week. I will place hers with her pup Bruiser we lost in 2010, who is on our mantle as well.. 

Some people believe that animals don't have souls and don't go to heaven. Even my own religion (Catholic) teaches that but I don't agree. God made animals and they can feel, they have emotions, they are so intelligent and they can love more, deeper and completely unconditionally. Do you know many humans who can even do that? I don't... So I know that God gave souls to animals and because of that I know and believe with my whole heart that one day when it's our time to leave this earth we will be with our sweet girl again..


9 comments:

  1. So sorry about Lady. I couldn't have gone either. She was part of your family and I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss. ~sigh~ It just is so hard. But I do believe that the love you showed her before she left, she knew every word and touch.
    Take care....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh - My heart is aching for you and my eyes are filled with tears- I do understand. I am sure you know this poem but I always find it comforting-
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

    All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

    You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

    Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

    Author unknown...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please accept my sympathy for the loss of your sweet Lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So so sorry - it's without a doubt the hardest thing to do. But you made the decision our of love for her - and you didn't want her to suffer. So hard to do. We know exactly how you feel. You never forget them. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so sad and I feel your pain. I have had to do this myself a few times and it is so hard. When we adopt fur children into our lives then we have the responsibility to send them on to their next life when the time comes. You did that for your Lady and she is not suffering any longer. But it is so hard and I send you all my sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry for the loss of your Lady. It sounds like you gave her a wonderful. loving life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. my heart breaks for you.I am so sorry for your loss. She waits for you in heaven, I just know it! I know we are taught they don't go to heaven. But I refuse to believe it. How can a creature so loving and devoted lack a soul? I know in my heart she is there. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. People who don't think animals go to heaven rather frighten me. If their souls are that frigid, where are they going? No one has EVER been able to point to the chapter and verse that says animals aren't in heaven...I firmly believe there's every indication they'll be in heaven. God made creation and He said, "It is good"; stands to reason His creation will continue in heaven.
    Robyn, I am so sorry but you'll see each other again...in the sweet by and by.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments, I love hearing from you! :) Due to spam I have had to set my comments to not allowing any Anonymous Users. I hope you understand and please don't let that deter you from commenting as your comments do mean so much to me that you take the time to come to my blog an comment.. ~Robyn~ XO